La stratégie Rolex

Le Cercle où se réunissent les possesseurs de Sub et autres Sea Dweller.
Mais on peut également parler des Black Bay et des Advisors.
Copeau
Green Team
Green Team
Reactions :
Mood :

La stratégie Rolex

Message par Copeau » 10 mars 2018, 07:57

Je reproduis ici un post de WUS que je trouve tout à fait remarquable. Je partage très largement le point de vue de l'auteur (même si ce n'est pas très élogieux pour Omega, mais ce n'est pas la question)
Rosco53 a écrit :This is my personal interpretation of what is happening in the watch wars:
  1. Rolex transitioned from a quality watchmaker to a luxury goods manufacturer to stay afloat in the quartz era. It is cheap and easy to make a waterproof and accurate quartz watch. Rolex could never compete in that area.

(When I bought my first Rolex in 1980 they were not really seen as high end luxury goods, but more in the class of a Range Rover – solid and reliable, not cheap but not overpriced)
  2. Rolex moved into luxury goods using the Veblen strategy. They started charging a lot for their watches using the price = quality = luxury concept. (In fact expensive = luxury = expensive). By the mid 80s, just 5 years after I bought mine, a Rolex was a status symbol to a yuppie. It happened that fast.

After many years of watching Rolex doing well, and watching the growing number of luxury watches being sold worldwide, companies like Omega (and some others) decided they should get on board. Omega introduced several new ranges of watches like the PO and TA, they started using the co-ax movement, moved away from stock ETA movements, and began “faux Veblen” pricing.

In “faux Veblen” a manufacturer uses a high retail sticker price but discounts heavily.

My wife arrives homewith new shoes. “Look honey, these are $500 shoes, but I got them for $300. Aren’t I clever, I saved us $200!” (that actually happens)

At the office: “Nice watch mate, was it expensive?” “Its an Omega, it was $7000, but I managed to get it for $5000”. The buyer has a perceived $7000 of value on his arm, and considers himself lucky or clever in getting a good discount.

There are a lot of dangers with faux Veblen, not the least being perceived value can quickly dropto the discounted price, and anyone who didn’t get a discount feelsaggrieved. But it works.
  3. Rolex needed to counter this marketing strategy and have come up with their own. This comes in two directions:

Firstly, they arepushing the sports Rolex models prices up way beyond the level that Omega could discount from. In faux Veblen there is a discountable limitation – beyond which you stretch the credibility of value.

“It’s a $25,000 watch,but I got a $20,000 discount” or “they are $500 shoes but I got them for $25”simply doesn’t work. The perceived value is lost. No one gets adiscount like that.

Rolex seem to be pushing up prices by severely restricting supply. In fact they have been restricting supply and increasing prices for some time now. I was told last year that Rolex were “winding down” production of one famous model.

Maybe they will change the models, taking them back to historical roots – certainly other manufacturers have done well out of re-releases of famous models, and Rolex have stood bemused whilst old Rolex have traded hands at staggering prices.

Maybe they will just improve the movements.

But I think prices are going to go very high for sports models.

Secondly, Rolex took the old semi-dormant Tudor brand and released a range of beautiful watches with in house movements under the name. Until a few years ago many Tudor owners used to say “It’s a Tudor by Rolex” half apologetically. Now they proudly show they their new Tudor.

That a direct, head on challenge to Omega. And Rolex can afford to play with designs and offer discounts, or sell at competitive prices without even offering discounts. All without any risk at all to the Omega brand. They can release a model and if it isn’t a success they can terminate it, they can go “bold” with colours and designs, they can play in the market place.

And the message to buyers is – if you want a rock solid quality watch with an in house movement (the old Rolex strategy) buy a Tudor. If you want an expensive luxury watch, buy a Rolex.

All this must have Omega quaking in their boots. Rolex are moving out of a price band that they could reasonably “price and discount” against, and now they have a new kid on the block at competitive prices and quality movements.

If I am right it’s a case study for any marketing class in an MBA. We did luxury cars and the Mercedes BMW wars of the 1990s.

None of the above isto knock Omega or praise Rolex. Its just my view on what is going on outthere.
Image Image

Balises :

Landrover
Député
Député
Reactions :
Mood :

Re: La stratégie Rolex

Message par Landrover » 10 mars 2018, 08:07

Conclusion ... achetez Tudor :grin:
Si la connerie n'est pas remboursée par les assurances sociales, vous finirez sur la paille ...

Copeau
Green Team
Green Team
Reactions :
Mood :

Message par Copeau » 10 mars 2018, 08:10

Absolument !
Image Image

Landrover
Député
Député
Reactions :
Mood :

Message par Landrover » 10 mars 2018, 08:17

J’airais du patienter ... :sob:
Si la connerie n'est pas remboursée par les assurances sociales, vous finirez sur la paille ...

Alt0201
Député
Député
Reactions :

Message par Alt0201 » 10 mars 2018, 09:56

Merci pour le partage.
C'est dingue cette habitude des gens à ne vouloir envisager les choses qu'à travers un prisme unique : le leur, le seul valable !
Pascal (pas le phylosophe, juste moi)
Mes photos sur Flickr

gee_love
Député
Député
Reactions :
Mood :

Message par gee_love » 10 mars 2018, 10:31

Conclusion : Omega et Louis Cottier, même stratégie... :D
soutiendez le 1 https://le1hebdo.fr/journal/actualite/u ... -1-54.html même les pauvres peuvent s'abonner ! :flushed:

Ney
Député
Député
Reactions :
Mood :

Message par Ney » 10 mars 2018, 10:42

:grin: C’est pas à moi qu’il faut dire d’acheter TUDOR
Je suis dingue de cette marque et au passage, j’échangerais bien ma Ploprof contre une 94110 ou autre plongeuse Tudor.
Politiquement incorrect et en perpétuelle contradiction.......
Président de la fondation "Schtroumpf grognon power" :unamused:

Monsieurbaron
Sénateur
Sénateur
Reactions :
Mood :

Message par Monsieurbaron » 10 mars 2018, 10:46

Merci @Copeau c'est instructif. :+1:
Membre du Vélo Club WR // When life gets complicated, I ride. :bicyclist_tone1:

Copeau
Green Team
Green Team
Reactions :
Mood :

Message par Copeau » 10 mars 2018, 10:48

Ney a écrit :
10 mars 2018, 10:42
:grin: C’est pas moi qu’il faut dire d’acheter TUDOR
Je suis dingue de cette marque et au passage, j’échangerais bien ma Ploprof contre une 94110 ou autre plongeuse Tudor.
En tout cas si tu vends un jour ta PloProf, pense à moi... :smirk:
Image Image

Alt0201
Député
Député
Reactions :

Message par Alt0201 » 10 mars 2018, 10:55

Souhaitant acheter une plongeuse j'ai récemment essayé la Tudor BB mais grosse déception : bien trop épaisse
C'est dingue cette habitude des gens à ne vouloir envisager les choses qu'à travers un prisme unique : le leur, le seul valable !
Pascal (pas le phylosophe, juste moi)
Mes photos sur Flickr

Répondre